Kansas City Scout is Kansas City’s bi-state traffic management system. The Kansas and Missouri departments of transportation (KDOT, MoDOT) designed Scout to lessen traffic jams by improving rush-hour speeds, to increase safety by decreasing the number of rush-hour accidents, and to improve emergency response to traffic situations.
Scout manages traffic on more than 125 miles of continuous freeways in the greater Kansas City metropolitan area. Scout uses cameras to monitor the highways from its traffic management center in Lee’s Summit, relies on sensors to gage traffic flow, uses large electronic message boards to send urgent traffic notices to drivers along the freeways, and activates a Highway Advisory Radio system that motorists in Missouri can tune to in the event of a freeway incident.
See Scout in action!
RKV staff provides the technical and project management support for both operational tasks and the technology enhancements needed to manage traffic.
In addition, the RKV staff assists with the management of the Advanced Transportation Management System (ATMS) software and maintains the Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) device location and operation configurations in a SQL database.
The RKV staff has written many white papers describing software enhancements and operational efficiencies that when implemented, benefit the Scout business processes and the citizens of both Missouri and Kansas. The RKV staff has developed the Request for Proposal and assisted in the award and evaluation of the support services and equipment procurement contracts. Additionally, the RKV staff continues to provide:
- Website and Web alert network trouble shooting and maintenance
- Monitor website url, www.kcscout.com, via SiteScope and report on any outages
- Maintain ‘My KC Scout’ traffic alerts via email and text message to ensure consistent and timely delivery
- Support other email and text message alert delivery
- Server Installation and Network Hardware support on request
- Install and maintain Crystal Reports Server
- General server and network hardware support
- Customized Crystal reports as requested for local entities wanting to utilize Scout data
- Weather Integration XML support.